How to Add Color to your Space
How to Add Color To Your Space
- When decorating a room balance colors into the 60-30-10 percentage rule.
60% is your dominant color. This is usually the walls.
30% is the main upholstery in the room.
10% is the accent color
- Don’t forget to add a pop of black. A black lampshade, picture frames or an accent piece.
- Get color inspiration from nature. Beauty is all around us. Take note of the seasons. Take pictures that inspire you. Choose darker hues of color for the floor (grass), medium hues of color for walls (trees and mountains) and lighter hues of color for the ceiling (sky). If you decorate vertically from the floor up going from dark to light you will get the proper “weight” of the room.
DON’T FORGET TO HAVE FUN WHEN CHOOSING COLOR
- Choose colors from the largest pattern in the room. For example, drapery or an area rug. Then choose other options around that piece.
- To keep flow throughout the home, choose one color that you carry into each room. Use the color in larger or smaller degrees throughout but keep one color consistent.
- Color has an emotional impact so consider the mood and atmosphere you want to create. For example green is a calm and restful choice. It would be a good option for a bedroom.
Consider the amount of light and the direction of the windows. Colors tend to look darker in the rooms with north facing windows and lighter in rooms with south facing windows. You may want to adjust accordingly. Always pick your paint in the room you are painting and observe the color at different times of the day to see how it changes.
NOW HAVE WE MADE IT EASY TO CHOOSE COLOR?
It is a fun and easy way to change a room whether you are doing a full- blown makeover or just sprucing things up. Have fun with it and if you follow the guidelines it will help give balance, weight and unity to your space. But remember to break the rules sometimes and add your own personal touch. If you wish to explore colour options Contact us and we will get you in touch with one of our Consultants. Call 403-821-1037